Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Wall Heart Home Decor / Paige Evans DT

Hello, and Happy Tuesday!  I'm sharing something a little different today for the Paige Evans Design Team.  Our theme this week is to create a project of some sort using the Take Me Away collection.  This was a challenge for me because I couldn't come up with an idea at first.  I tried something else that I saw on Pinterest, but that didn't pan out.  I wanted to make something with mixed media on it, so I finally decided to create a fun wall hanging heart.

My main design element are the big hand-stitched flowers from Take Me Away Paper 14.  I took about two days to stitch them.  I love that paper because the flowers are made from little Xs which makes stitching very easy.  I used a small needle and some matching embroidery thread, so it did take a while.  I fussy cut them out once I was done and then used some watercolor sprays & my water brush to add some color to them.  The big heart is just a piece of really thick kraft cardstock.  I hand drew a heart and cut it out.  I painted the whole thing with white acrylic paint first and then used some Shimmerz sprays and some gelatos to color it.


Here you can see all the awesome detail from the hand stitching.  I love how the watercolor turned out on them.  I wanted to add some light and dark shades of pinks and oranges, and I love how that turned out.  I added some foam adhesive under the flowers to give them dimension.  I also fussy cut some flowers and leaf stems from Paper 2.  I tucked several of them in under the stitched flowers.  I topped this area with a shiny gold die cut from the Ephemera Die Cut Pack and a Fabric Bow.


I love how bold the background colors turned out.  I wanted deep shades of bright pinks, reds and orange/yellow/gold tones.  I also added in some Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine.  I cut the Happy Day circle from Paper 20 and tucked that into the upper right flower cluster.  I also used shiny gold thread to machine stitch around the edge of the heart.


Here you can see more of those fussy cut flowers and leaf stems I added in.  I love the texture from the brush strokes on the heart.  I used a paint brush to first apply the white acrylic paint, so the texture looks really neat!


You know I love some tangled thread (haha) so I couldn't let this project go without adding in some.  I used a golden yellow color and tucked in a few tangles here and there.  I just love the depth that the adhesive foam adds under everything.


Here's one more close-up of the top area.  I love how the leaves go "off the page" here.  This is going to look so pretty hanging on the wall in my house :)


This was fun to make (once I finally decided on the idea...haha).  I hope it inspires you to try something other than a layout every once in a while!  Here's my process video if you'd like to check it out.



Thanks so much for stopping by today...have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment