Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Love My Girls / My Mind's Eye

Hello again, friends!  Today I'm sharing my latest layout for My Mind's Eye.  I am still loving the Jubliee Wild Berry collection, and I pulled it out to create this bright page.  I love mixing black and white with bright colors, so I started with two different black and white patterned papers.  I added white gesso to fade out some of the pattern and then used some watercolors and gelatos to add some color to the background (mostly teals and pinks).  Then I used my foam blending tool and some Mustard Seed Distress Ink over a sunburst stencil to create some sun rays at the top.  I used yellow thread to machine stitch on the edge of each ray to make them stand out a bit more.

I also backed a few die cut pie charts with various patterned papers to add some more fun color.  Backing die cuts is a fun and easy way to scatter color everywhere in small bits.


Here you can see the stitching up close.  I love the detail that stitching gives!  I also added some black zig zags right above the layers.


I used a really pretty 4x6 transparent overlay from the Record It Follow Your Heart collection...I love the yellow and teal bokeh ombre effect. I also cut that scribbly circle on some patterned paper.  My blade gave me a bit of a fit there.


Here you can see the mixed media work on the background.  I added in some die cuts from the Mixed Bag, some Decorative Brads, a Flair Pin and some awesome alpha stickers from Just Sayin.'


You can never go wrong with flair...and I love layering tangled thread under them.  I love these flair because they're oversized, and this fun pie chart design is so fun and makes such a statement.  The "Love" piece is a Rub-On that I adhered to cardstock and then cut out.


I hope this gives you some ideas on using black and white with bright colors, and also how to use gesso to fade out some of a background pattern.  It helps break it up and also gives you some white space to add watercolor or paint.

And you can check out the new collections coming soon from My Mind's Eye...some beautiful goodies for Halloween, Christmas and an everyday collection as well.  Gorgeous stuff!!

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! I just fell out of my chair!! This is AMAZING!! I can't even stand it!! That b&w with the bright colors...aaaaaaaahhhh!! Incredible!! I'm floored!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the contrast of the Black & White with the pops of bright colors, Missy! And the die cuts add such a fun look to your layout!!

    ReplyDelete