Sunday, May 3, 2015

Paradise Memories / Hip Kit Club

Happy Sunday, friends!  I hope you are having an awesome National Scrapbooking Day / Weekend!  I'm busy working on a few design team assignments, so I have definitely been scrapping.  Today, I'm sharing my latest page for the Hip Kit Club using the 2015 April Hip Kits.

I was inspired to use that incredibly gorgeous green wood grain paper from Webster's Pages as my background.  I'm not a huge green fan, but that paper is just beautiful.  It was just begging for a tropical layout to be built on it, so that's what I did.  I pulled out an old photo of me and my husband in St. Lucia from 2003 and made a very bright and tropical layout.

I do have a process video down below if you'd like to see how I created this from start to finish.


I actually added my gesso and gelatos after most of the layout was put together.  At first, I didn't plan on adding any extra color to the background.  But the more I looked at it, the more I wanted to add some pops of bright blue.  I really love how that turned out.  I added some of the Prima Watercolor Pencils to that square wood veneer from Heidi Swapp, and that turned out wonderfully!  The wood took the color from the pencils really nicely.  I layered in some of the white Thickers down here at the bottom and finished it off with some of the cute Crate Paper flower sequins.


The very first thing I did on this page was give this "swiss cheese" dotted watercolor card some color.  I used the Prima pencils again to add pink, orange and yellow to it.  Next, I cut it diagonally and backed it behind my photo.  I also added a Freckled Fawn wood veneer word here that I backed with vellum.


Here's the right side of the page...layers of paper, wood, sequins and thread.  I really am glad I added the blue gelatos...it really pops.


One last close-up of the top layers.  This beautiful cut-apart piece just had to be used here because of the gorgeous tropical flowers on it.  I added some blue stitching at the top and a few Elle's Studio sentiment stickers here and there.


Here is my process video...enjoy!


I hope this inspires you to create something tropical and bright with your kits...this was so much fun to make!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. This is ever so bold and bright and full of fun, Missy! So many gorgeous, textural details, and so perfectly balanced! Really love that triangle piece!

    ReplyDelete